Topband: DX Window

Don dandypoint@cox.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:10:31 -0500

Fellow DXers,

I have a serious concern about the 1830 to 1835 window.

I used to work a lot of DX in the 60's and early 70's where the DX =
window was clearly 1825 to 1830. There were good reasons to stay out of =
the window and to be aware of it. First of all most of us could only run =
high power (50 watts)  below 1825 and low power (25 watts) from 1825 to =
1850. Most important of all the DX operated split by transmitting above =
1825 and listening at the bottom of the band.   =20
I have been off 160 for a few years (no room for antennas where I was =
living, I never lost interest) and am a bit confused by comments on the =
window. First of all I do not know where "The Window" really is. I think =
the ARRL band plan used to list it as 1830 to 1835. I vagely remember a =
dispute over the 160 operators and the ARRL when they published the 1830 =
to 1835 window.  Some people thought it should be 1825 to 1830.  Please =
excuse me if I do not have it exactly right.
I did a search of DX Summit spots. I did it for 1000 spots in 2002. They =
covered the 160 contest. I did not see much DX, but what I did see and =
what I worked in the recent contest, was all below 1830.  Then I did a =
search for 2001 for 1000 spots on 160.  I found only 3 DX spots out of =
1000 that were in the window.  The vast majority were 1825 to 1830.
It seems to me the DX still thinks the window is 1825 to 1830.  I have =
been avoiding calling CQ or having any domestic QSOs in the "old window" =
which is where the DX seems to be.  I also try to avoid the 1825 to 1835 =
area as I was thinking DX should be there also. After my review of spots =
I am thinking we could use 1830 to 1835 and never bother any DX work.
Maybe we should reach a concensus and as a group petition the ARRL to =
publish a "real life DX window" of 1825 to 1830.
Why would anyone take a suggestion seriously to move from the 1830 to =
1835 window if all they ever heard or saw was DX from 1825 to 1830?    =
Am I missing something?

73,
Don
N4DJ