Topband: ARRL 160 contest and split frequency DX working

Steve Ireland sire@iinet.net.au
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:32:05 +0800

G'day

It has been interesting to read the comments about the lack of DX operation
in the ARRL 160 test.

Firstly, a DX window in a 160m contest which could only be used for CQing
by stations outside of North America, Europe and Japan (i.e. the main
amateur radio centres of population in the world) would be very useful and
help DX participation.

Frankly, with regard to the practical use of DX windows, the mayhem in the
one in the CQ 160 contest is even worse than in the ARRL 160 - mainly
because North American stations respect the use of a DX window much than
more than some Europeans (this includes a couple of really 'Big Guns').

Secondly, a DX station QSXing up and down the band doesn't work very well
in practice in a 160m DX contest  - I've tried it on many occasions.  What
happens is that those NA/Eu stations with poor rx set-ups/poor ears (maybe
deaf deliberately?...) quickly end up transmitting on top of me.  In
contrast, if I work single frequency, the pile-up I can generate keeps
those cloth-eared operators from (in some cases, deliberately?...)
trampling on me.

I should also add that in rx/txing on the same frequency, I have never had
any trouble in working those NA/EU operators with relatively poor
antennas/lowish power.  Down here, there is relatively little really strong
signals (only Mike VK6HD in Albany!) and no problems in sorting out weak
signals other than QRN.

Rather than trying to "educate DX stations" as my old mate Craig W1JCC
suggests, it would be nice if 160m contest organisers would act on
suggestions that DX stations make to them about improving the situation for
them.

For me, as a DX operator the only fair 160m contest with a sensible set of
rules is the Stew Perry - if you make DX contacts really valuable, then
this is the best protection for DX stations like me.  Sadly, the CQ 160 and
the ARRL 160 are in reality just 'domestic' NA/EU contests - and my
low-level participation in them reflects this situation.

Vy 73 es merry Christmas,

Steve, VK6VZ