Topband: phased inverted L's

Ron Feutz feutz@wctc.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:14:30 -0600

Hello Topbanders,

Some of us are planning a DXpedition to the Caribbean for early 2004 for
the ARRL DX CW.  I have been assigned low band antenna design duty.

As a 4-sq user on 160, I am quite gung-ho about gain arrays for 160 and
80.  We apparently have the room for phased verticals or inverted
L's spaced 1/4 or 1/8 wave on Topband.

The patterns of the 1/4 and 1/8 wave spaced verticals are what I am looking
for, but I wonder if L's might be better.

My question is, if we were to build symmetrical L's (65' up, 65' out), and
run the horizontal portions parallel (broadside to the US), would we get
useful gain and F/B at high angles from the horizontal portions?  I have
never seen this discussed or modeled, and wonder if any of you can
enlighten me.  I know that usual practice with L's is to run the horizontal
wires to the middle, to achieve some cancellation of the high angles. If we
decide we don't want the high angles at all, we will just top load the
verticals with wire hats.

Some time ago, there was discussion about high angles being very useful
from some tropical locations, I believe depending on the orientation of
magnetic lines of force for the particular area.  Can anyone direct me to
the relevant resource or article?

Thanks for your consideration.

73,

Ron - WA9IRV