Topband: More EWE thoughts!

Glenn and Barbara Kurzenknabe bgkurz@epix.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:04:55 -0500

I thought I would report my latest findings on the EWE RX antenna on =
160M.  This the second season that I have had several of them up.  They =
are all 10X50X10 ft. and use K1FZ matching boxes.  The grounds are 3 ft. =
pieces of 1/2" hard copper tubing driven into the ground all but about =
6".  I am using a 20 dB preamp by Advanced Receiver Research. (Costs all =
of $20!)   All I can say is, they are great!  They even work very well =
on 80M, even though they are "single band" versions.  I am constantly =
amazed at how well they work.  I have a Pennant on EU, also using a K1FZ =
box.  It has been there for 3 seasons, now.   It has been successful, =
but it will be replaced by a EWE next year.  EWE's are little more =
physically a hassle to deal with, but the results are worth it.   I have =
been unable to try a K9AY due to my deer population.  I would have liked =
to give that a try.=20
I would like to try and hook the grounds together on the EWE's, as some =
suggest.  Maybe next year.  Just for the report, the RX antennas I have =
tried that have been miserable failures are: Low Dipole, "W0CY Secret =
Weapon"  (Coaxial long wire) a short Beverage (220 ft.) and a 220 ft. =
terminated Snake.   Some of these have worked for other folks, but not =
for me.  I am not bad mouthing the designers, just reporting on what has =
worked for me.    See you on Top Band and Happy New Year!
de Glenn, K3SWZ
New Cumberland, PA=20
"All antennas work! Their specific success or failure is measured in =
dB's"  (borrowed from Tim, W9QQ)    =20

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---