Topband: More Stewed Carbrillo

Tree N6TR tree@kkn.net
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:46:16 -0800

I would like to thank the 32 people who have sucessfully submitted
their Stew Perry Logs using Cabrillo.  This compares to about 85
logs received using the old method.

I just downloaded these 32 logs to my log checking computer with a
couple of mouse clicks and it took about 30 seconds.

The other 85 logs will take me hours to get in the same condition.
Some of these logs are in ASCII format in the text of the e-mail
message.  These will take about 2 minutes each to get into shape.
However, some are zipped files, or base64 encoded, binary files,
you name it - and some of them might take 5 or more minutes to
whip into shape.

You can quickly see how this time adds up - and contributes to
possible errors and lost information (like not noticing the
fact that you ran 5 watts).

I expect to receive about 300 logs for this contest.

You can do your part to help make this contest better!!  Here
are some suggestions:

1. Fix your log so it looks like Cabrillo.  The instructions
can be found at http://www.kkn.net/~trey/Cabrillo/  (don't
leave off that last / mark).

If you forget something - don't worry - the robot will tell you
what is missing and tell you what to fix.

2. Ask whomever made your logging program to support the Cabrillo
specification for this contest.  Tell them that you can't submit
your log next year without this support.  Help them understand
what needs to be done - and offer to test it out with this year's
log.

3. Even if you already submitted your log directly to me at
tbdc@contesting.com, you can still save me a ton of work by
resubmitting using Cabrillo.  I will hold off plowing through
these logs for a month or so.

We are trying to make this contest better for everyone, and I need
your help to do it.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net