Topband: FT-1000MP Key Clicks

John Kaufmann john.w1fv@telocity.com
17 Jan 2002 14:27:43 -0800

There's been lots of discussion recently (in a contesting.com poll, for example) about what it will take to get radio manufacturers to make better receivers.  However, I think we are coming to realize that in crowded bands with strong signals, noisy transmitters (key clicks, phase noise) are often the limiting factor in receiving.  Phase noise characteristics have generally improved since the introduction of the first frequency-synthesized radios, although there is still room for improvement.  Key clicks, however, seem to have gotten worse over the years!  This is particularly true since the FT-1000MP has become one of the most popular radios.  I used to own one but now have the IC-781.  Whenever I do lowband CW contests, I find reception is hindered most by the key clicks from strong stateside signals.

If you own one of the Yaesu rigs, please do the key click mods (and thanks to W8JI for his work on this).  The rest of us should continue to make noise on the subject until the manufacturers start to listen.

73, John W1FV