Topband: VP8THU

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:53:07 +0000

SP5EWY wrote:
>Any news if VP8THU will try Topband?

        They do have an antenna for 80/160 provided by K9AY
but a limited number of small amplifiers.  The expedition has
strict environmental rules necessitating small generators, small
amplifiers for the low bands and most likely NO amplifiers on
higher bands.  As I understand it, they can remain on the island
about 4 days due to their environmental permit, and low band
operations, if any, are expected toward the end of their stay.
The best thing is to just to listen and see what they say.  They
have some keen Topbanders along including K4UEE and N5KO, so I
hope they can at least try Topband one evening.  I would certainly
not pester them with questions about 160 at the beginning of their
expedition because they are trying to give a new one to as many
as possible on the higher bands.

        If anyone hears definite info directly from the ops,
please post it here.  Otherwise, anything else you hear is
probably pure speculation at this point.  Keep listening and
let's hope the weather does not blow them off the island like
happened to VP8SSI in 1992!

                                           73,  Bill  W4ZV