Topband: CHEAP BEVERAGE ANTENNA SUPPORTS

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:55:41 -0500

> A good idea.  I used 1 1/4" PVC pipe from Home Depot.  It fits snugly
> over the 6' 6" T-posts.  I gave it two coats of black outdoor latex
> paint to keep it fresh under the UV.  Also drilled a small hole about
> 6" below the top of each post so that I could insert a pin to keep the
> pipe from sliding down the T-post.  The "pins" were pieces of #4
> copper wire left over from the radial/ground system around the tower.

I just use plain old 1/2" thin wall steel conduit, with a snug-fitting
short length of PVC forced over the top. You can slot the PVC with
a hacksaw.

I drive a short piece of 3/4" metal conduit in the ground as a
"base". That way the 1/2" support can be removed or replaced
easily.

It doesn't hurt a thing to have a metal post with only a short
insulating section at the top.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com