Topband: Re: rm-10352

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:39:35 -0500

Hi Pat,

Officials at the FCC have clearly stated they will ignore any request
they deem to be a special interest request. This was repeated to
me directly by the head of the rules branch within the last year or
so.

The specific examples given to me were....

They would not consider a request for a DX Window a reasonable
request because it serves only DX'ers. They would not consider a
band-split at a certain frequency a valid request because it tracks
with band usage in Europe or another part of the world.

I'm sure if DX is not a valid reason and nets are not a valid reason
for a rule they also would not consider any special request for
contests three weekends a year a valid request.

Not only that, the FCC does support ARRL band plans to the
extent that burden of proof in a conflict falls on stations violating
bandplans. Since no one is really supposed to be operating SSB
below 1843 anyway, it is especially unlikely they would grandfather
(endorse) such operation!

The band extends to 2000 kHz, and there is plenty of room for SSB
in contests. Operation (so far as working DX) would be improved
anyway if USA stations with poor ability to copy DX were prevented
from parking on frequencies where DX normally operates.

RM-10352 would actually force us to be more sensible operators.
Why make it less effective?
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com