Topband: FT-1000MP Key Clicks

k6se@juno.com k6se@juno.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:29:58 -0800

I ordered the InRad key click mod for my FT-1000MP (it took 6 days to get
here via priority mail!), and just finished installing it.  Here's the
results:

Before doing the mod, I used my TS-830S receiver in the CW-Narrow mode
(250 Hz) and adjusted the FT-1000MP output so that the TS-830S S-meter
read S-9 plus 20 dB (the 830's S-meter is accurate, BTW).  Sending a
string of dits from the MP, I could hear key clicks +/- about 2.1 kHz of
the signal frequency on the 830.  This is apparently typical of the
FT-1000MP -- they're all the same.

After doing the mod, and using the same setup, the key clicks were
reduced to about +/- 800 Hz.

At least for this weekend in the 160m contest, I'll be taking up only
about 1.6 kHz with my clicks instead of more than 4 kHz.

I highly recommend that all FT-1000MP/Mk V owners either do the InRad key
click mod or the W8JI key click mod to keep peace with your CW op
counterparts.  W8JI's mode is probably better, and I intend to do his mod
when time permits.

Info on the InRad keying improvement mod for the FT-1000MP/Mk V can be
obtained from:

          http://www.qth.com/inrad/

Info on the W8JI key click mod for the FT-1000MP/Mk V can be obtained
from:

          http://www.w8ji.com/Click/3653

73, de Earl, K6SE