Topband: Re: [1000mp] FT-1000MP Key Clicks

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:24:31 -0500

> > After doing the mod, and using the same setup, the key clicks were
> > reduced to about +/- 800 Hz.

While much better than the clicky ~2.5kHz wide stock FT1000
series of rigs, it certainly could be much better.

Just remember even with that mod if you are strong you will have to
stay at least one kHz from others to avoid bothering weak signals.

> Just curious as to "how much space" the older rigs actually
> used also, could you run that test and post the results please ?

Some rigs were fairly good, and some were poor. We should
remember we didn't have op amps in the early days, and most rigs
did not have narrow (like 500Hz) filters. Designers could only use
simple R/C filters for shaping (filtering the bandwidth of the keying
waveform), and that limits the attenuation of keying harmonics.

Today we easily (and very cheaply) have technology available to
not occupy more than a few hundred Hz before ALL clicks are into
the noise, and it will NOT affect how readable our signal is when we
are weak.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com