Topband: One way propogation or QRM?

PACER99@aol.com PACER99@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:40:20 EST

hello peter,

your question: 9V1PC wrote:
>One way prop, QRN or QRM?

i have to disagree with w4zv this time. his answer based at his qth is
probably
correct but you mentioned west coast US stations. at early morning on the
west
coast, and before sunrise most of the east coast is in full daylight and they
present
no QRM problems. even then, with west pointing beverages, they present little
problem for me. be assured that any frequency that i was calling CQ on was
clear.
also there was NO QRN during the contest. was it then prop? well, i can say
that
conditions were very poor here in arizona, but you should realize that the
stations
that you mentioned in your email are the "big guns". BIG antennas and full
KW.

there have been discussions on this reflector about an enhanced path about 1
1/2
hours before sunrise. lots of guys have sensed this but there is no firm
resolution
(i think). the gray area before sunrise has been proven to be an enhanced
tx/rx
period on 160 meters. as an example- i worked more japan stations during the
1/2 hour before my sunrise than the previous 4 hours. i just could not hear
them
before then. 9m2ax and bv3 were also heard then. i suspect that if you would
have
called me at that time we would have worked. i find that 12 minutes before
sunrise
to be the peak-peak. (this should get some comments!)

you are probably aware of all of this but here is my suggestion. locate the
stations
who you want to work on a map or some program available on the internet. try <
map
quest.com> for the US. note their city and then check it against a dark/light
program.
i use GEOCLOCK. unless conditions are extremely good watch TV until the 12
minute time slot and then call! please do this for me! i could sure use you
in the
160 contests. if this does not work then i will buy you a beer next time in
9v1 land.

for others reading this email-how many minutes before sunrise is the
"peak-peak"?

regards,
larry
n7dd