Topband: Re: MP Clicks

k6se@juno.com k6se@juno.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:41:34 -0800

Tom, W8JI commented on the 1000mp Reflector:

"All stock FT1000MP's and FT1000(D's) click excessively. I'm not sure
about MK V's but certainly some click excessively."

I certainly agree with Tom.  One California MP user who commented on the
reflector that he had his friends check his clicks, and they said he was
clean, had clicks extending out +/- 2 kHz or more from his signal --
typical of a stock MP.

W8JI pointed out that, when checking another station for clicks, you
should use the receiver's narrow CW selectivity filter(s).  Another
reason some may deem a signal as "clean" is that many old-timers think
that key clicks extend many kHz up and down the band, as they did in the
old days when many transmitters were home-brewed.  These old timers might
tune up or down 10 or 15 kHz to check for clicks, therefore they won't
hear the clicks generated by today's clicky factory-built rigs.

The number of stations heard during the CQ WW 160 contest that had key
clicks is appalling.  It made copy of weak signals very difficult or
impossible if they were transmitting within 2 kHz or more from the weak
signal.  I know for a fact that many of these stations use the FT-1000MP.
 I feel that it is imperitive that all owners of the popular FT-1000MP
alleviate this problem by installing either the Inrad keying improvement
mod or W8JI's key click mod.

I used a late model FT-1000MP in the contest with the InRad keying
improvement mod installed.  Another station in the contest e-mailed me
that he had the same problems with clicky stations that I did, but that
my signal was clean.  Even so, I plan to "upgrade" to the W8JI key click
mod.

73, de Earl, K6SE