Topband: Re: One way propogation or QRM?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:57:32 -0500

Many times the band peaks far off sunrise or sunset, and goes
downhill. Never wait or depend on the sunrise/sunset peak!

For example, there are many days when the path to VK peaks
neither at their sunset or my sunrise. The same is true for JA's and
everywhere else where the path is over a few thousand km.

I've never experienced "one-way propagation" on 160 without noise,
QRM, or the radiated power on one end of the path easily
explaining it.

"One way propagation" is especially likely to occur in contests
because of QRM and the fact operators are listening in multiple
directions and may miss calls. It is tough enough to tune the
receiver up and down a bit in frequency and check all directions
and antennas on normal days, let alone during a contest!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com