Topband: Bev Wire

k6se@juno.com k6se@juno.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:37:21 -0800

I've always used #17 AWG galvanized electric fence wire for my Beverages.
 Once I replaced one of them with #18 AWG magnet wire expecting it to
work better, but was disappointed when it was obviously not as good as
the steel wire as far as F/B and F/S ratio goes.

My theory about this is that the steel wire, having greater loss, did a
better job of providing more attenuation of signals arriving from the
opposite direction because they had to propagate down to the far end of
the wire and then be reflected back down the wire to the receiver end.
In other words, the unwanted signals had to travel through the lossy wire
farther to get to the receive end, therefore were attenuated more due to
the lossy wire.

The wire is inexpensive and strong, also.

73, de Earl, K6SE