Topband: 160 One Way Propagation

Mike W4EF@dellroy.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:28:38 -0800

Having a relatively small TX antenna (30' high marconi on a
city lot), I have learned to be persistent with stations who
I know have directional receive antennas. Usually after
3 or 4 calls they get the right beverage and we make the
QSO.

BTW, I am constantly amazed out how well some guys
hear whereas others are seemingly deaf. During the CQ
160 contest this past weekend, I worked quite a number
of east coast stations who were so weak they weren't budging
my S-meter, but from past experience I know they have
good TX antennas. On the other hand, I called one station
in Colorado who never even so much as responded to my
repeated calls with a question mark despite his S9+20dB
signal (I did finally work him on Saturday night). I am
sure he had a very high local noise floor as I worked a
number of other CO stations in the same time frame with
relative ease .

Likewise, I listened to KA6SAR operating from W6UE
just down the road from me. Mike was working stuff that
I could not hear using nothing more than a dipole at 90'
(no special RX antennas). Clearly the local noise level can
have a huge impact on the perceived reciprocity of a particular
path. If the band is empty, for instance, I can run the noise
blanker on my Ten-Tec and drop the noise floor here at my
home QTH an additional 6 to 10 dB as normally my noise
floor is dominated by power line discharge noise.

To demonsrate one-way propagation, you really need to
measure path loss in both directions instead of S/N ratios.

73 de Mike, W4EF..............