Topband: Diversity Reception on 160 - More info

Tom Cathey k1jj@snet.net
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:33:44 -0400

: "That is what I have been using here for the last 8 years using an
FT-1000D...." 73 Clive GM3POI
-------------

I do the same thing here with a beverage in one ear and the verticals in the
other for diversity.

On low static nights I find the 3 el vertical array hears about as well as
the beverage most of the time, so it's a good match up.

The stereo effect is outstanding and I use the technique everywhere/ every
mode on 160-40M using the broadband beverages and transmit antenna of choice
for a particular band.

On 160M, I find that with 2 wavelength spacing between antennas,  the two
weak signals are always trading places in fades... helpful to fill in the
gaps.

Driving the two FT1000D receivers with one vfo is an easy mod and here's the
URL for anyone to do it:

http://www.angelfire.com/md/k3ky/page62.html

Remember to add a transmit relay to the beverage input to prevent receiver
#2 burnout. (It stays on during transmit unless you do this or another
internal mod)

BTW, after experimenting with a tuned preamp for the beverages on RX #2 ,
I've decided not to use one.

Tom, K1JJ
CT