Topband: Extending the Beverage

Doug Waller NX4D@comcast.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:34:23 -0400

> At present my Beverage is 390' long, 10' high and terminated at the
> N-Northeast end.  It does a pretty fair job at rejecting noise from
certain
> local sources and comfortably pulling in signals that may be marginal on
> other antennas, but I don't notice a tremendous directional
characteristic.
> Signals off the S-Southwest end are down a few dB's, and most noticeably,
> signals broadside to the wire are often down into the background noise.

> Don K4KYV

In ON4UN's book on page 7-6 are 160m patterns for 292, 577 & 879 foot long
beverages.  The first has a very broad pattern similar to a Pennant antenna,
the second & third beverages become much more directional.  John refers to
these three lengths, which are half-wavelength multiples, as cone-of silence
lengths, where the F/B ratio is maximized.  Extending your beverage to 577
feet should give you discernable performance improvements.

73, om Doug / NX4D