Topband: Ameco PCL-P preamp

N2TK tony.kaz@verizon.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:15:43 -0400

I also have an Ameco PCL-P nuvistor preamp. Works very well on all bands -
10-160m. I use it on my ewes and pennant antennas. It really helps. I find
it amplifies the signal more than the noise.
I wonder if it would be better to put a 10-15db preamp for 160 and 80 at the
receive antennas? I use about 200' of RG-6 to the ewes and pennant.

I also have a Palomar P-310X. The only band it seemed to help was 10m. Made
some mods. Now it is as good as the Ameco except for 10m. Can't figure out
why I can't get it to work on 10m. The noise level increases at the same
rate as the signal on 10m.

Also installed an ARR P1-30/20VD preamp in a MFJ-1046 Passive Preselector.
Works fine. The only complaint is I wish it had more gain. If it did, I
would use that in place of the Ameco.  I wonder if I could series 2 ARR
preamps?

Recently compared a Palomar P-408 preamp. It played just like the stock
P-310X - not good on any band except 10m. If I could find a P-408 cheap I
may try to modify it to see how it plays.

Also have an Ameco PLF-2. It works about the same as the Palomars.

Any comments about the other preamps out there? Any ideas how to make the
Palomars work?

Tony
N2TK