Topband: Ameco PCL-P preamp

w2pm@aol.com w2pm@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:28:56 -0400

I use an ICE 135 for 160 and 80 with a half size flag and pennant - which are very low in output and I have found similar results that the preamp does not help when the gain is cranked up. However, it is very effective when I advance the gain just beyond the neutral stage (which matches the non amplified antenna output). The signals are not ear splitting but they are quite Q5 (maybe Q3 or 4 too) but without the preamp I could'nt copy them unless I practice my ESP skills. Sometime the wide open gain does help tho - depends on the conditions... 73