Topband: Beverage: Sloping vs. vertical drop

Donald Chester k4kyv@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 05:42:54 +0000

>From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

Ten feet of vertical drop
>is ten feet of vertical, whether you slope it for 50 feet or bring it
>straight down. Think about the K9AY antenna or Pennant. They act
>exactly like two short verticals phased, even though they slope. As a
>matter of fact, the Pennant has exactly the same signal pickup on the
>pointed end as the perfectly vertical end.
>
>Sloping the wire to reduce vertical sensitivity has to be one of the
>biggest
>myths ever started. If it worked....the Pennant and K9AY would
>immediately stop working. Save the neck of a baby cow, and bring the
>wire down vertically.

I think you are absolutely right.  However, sloping the wire saves having to
put up an additional support pole at the end of the antenna plus guy wire.
The antenna itself serves as the guy wire for the next adjacent pole.  (No
baby people or animals run in that field).  Granted, sloping the wire won't
reduce vertical sensitivity (my own experimentation suggests that it is
negligible compared to the signal the antenna picks up anyway), but do you
think sloping the end(s) of the wire degrades the performance of the
beverage?

Don K4KYV