Topband: Diversity Reception on 160

k3ky@erols.com k3ky@erols.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:38:47 -0400

On 30 Jun 2002 at 10:23, Ford Peterson wrote:

> My question is, how far apart will the 160 antennas have to be to
> allow for useful diversity?  I've only got 5 acres so separating more
> than 500' or so will be difficult.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ford-N0FP
> ford@cmgate.com

My observations with a small lot, miminal antennas, and a
FT-1000D equipped for full antenna diversity:
You will be amazed which antenna combinations give a
useful boost in intelligibility- and which don't. As always,
experimentation is in order. I have to snicker a bit at your
"only 5 acres" comment.  :o)   I would be thrilled to have
that kind of space. I am getting by with a well-treed 0.8 acre
lot. I wish I had room for beverages, as you do.
73, David K3KY
P.S. As I have said in the past, I found true diversity to be
a capability well worth the effort to acquire- even with
minimal antennas.