Topband: Removing RF from lines on a directly fed tower.

n4uk@mindspring.com n4uk@mindspring.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:43:32 -0500

        My 160m base insulated tower (120ft) is series fed. I knew that I would run into "issues" when I added a 2el 40m yagi up on top along with feedline, rotator and the associated cables. An "isolator" which I believe to be a piece of Teflon coax with a bunch of ferrite beads over it seems to have done the trick with the 40m coax. I thought I had the rotator line problem licked when I purchased 18 ferrite beads and installed them over the rotator line. Theoretically it should have worked and the minimal change on my swr on 160m made me think I was using a good approach. I still had some deflection on my direction meter on the rotor box though. Then came the 160m contest last weekend.
   After the contest was over I noticed that my swr low point had shifted way down below the band.(1730) I turned on the 40m antenna rotator control box and it would not indicate a direction. I climbed the tower to see if the cable had melted or burned open. I could not find any visible problems until I opened up the section of PVC conduit where the section of ferrite beaded line was located at the base of the tower. The beads had heated up enough to melt the rotor cable straight through to the conductors. The jacket of the cable became fused to the insides of the beads. What a mess. The rotor cable had now become an integral part of the 160m system thus the shift in the swr lowpoint.
        I was pretty convinced that I'd have to change to a shunt wire feed system however physically cumbersome it would be. But then I spoke with W8JI! He suggested 40-50 turns of rotor cable around a 4 inch air form such as PVC conduit. I built this the day before yesterday and I no longer have any deflection on the meter when TXing on 160m with full power.My low swr point moved up to 1900 but a quick tweak of the vacuum variable has brought it back down to 1850. Where there is a will, there IS a way. Thanks Tom! I was NOT looking forward to
re-doing the feed on the 160m antenna for the 3rd time.....
73, N4UK