Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices

Doug Waller NX4D@mpinet.net
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 12:11:26 -0500

> I NEVER took tail enders, I NEVER answered a station "out of
> sequence".  I made a strong effort to operate in a very
> consistent manner so that folks could reasonably predict
> when to start calling - and when not to -
> 73
>
> Robin Critchell, WA6CDR, XZ1N/XZ0A

While it may seem politically incorrect to consider the operating practices
of the DX operator, he is the key to controlling any pileup!  If he ever
ONCE, works two pile-ees in sequence, without QRZ, then half of the pile
will immediately start calling continually on the pile-ee's frequency, while
the pile-ee is still trying to complete his own QSO.  If the DX operator
ever ONCE, works a tailender, then half the pile-ees will begin
tailending........because it WORKS!

Any inconsistent practices by the DX op will almost immediately start the
"tuners" on his frequency.  In my opinion, the DX op, a single individual,
can exert more good influence on any pileup, than one could ever hope from
the desparate pile-ees.  Agreed that many of the previous "10 commandments
of pileup success" are very good & valid instructions, but we will never
have 100% participation.  I work a high percentage of weak DX stations by
applying all, or some of the 10 pile-ee commandments......totally dependent
on the DX Operator.

73/dx, om Doug / NX4D