Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 02:49:26 +0000

Robin,

This QSX quick change thing is hardly new.

I remember the venerable Gus Browning, W4BPD doing it often in the 1960's.
On one occasion when he was on SSB from AC5A (then Bhutan hi), Gus came on
14195 and said "Listening 14240". Naturally everyone went there. A few
seconds after he said it, he came back on and said "I really meant 14235".
The sharp ops caught on, got the QSO and Gus got a much more controlled pileup.

Gus was one great operator. When you worked Gus, you knew you had a good
contact since he would always come back and send your call again just to
make sure you knew it was confirmed. That is anything but the norm
nowadays. If you get a "R" or "TU" nowadays, you're lucky!

73,

Joe, W1JR