Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 10:41:59 +0000

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks now............my 2
cents worth.

I've never seen the reason to operate "split frequency" unless the country's
band plan does not allow a station to operate on a desired frequency used by
another country.  To this end, for the life of me, I see no reason for a DX
station to transmit on one frequency, listen on another and have a bunch of
folks that didn't hear the frequency change transmission clutter up the band
calling blindly on 2 or 3 different frequencies.  In this basic example some
4 or more frequencies are rendered totally useless.  What's the point? These
are frequencies that could be used by other stations to make DX contacts
too.  Aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot so to speak?

My experience when operating outside of the USA and thus creating a small
pile up, I took the call that I copied completely, worked him and went to
the next one, worked him and etc.  It boils down to this, I didn't work and
won't work a partial call.  If they copy me and I copy them, and it doesn't
have to be a 20 over 9 signal, it's a legal contact.  Partial calls won't
make for legal contacts.

I really think we need to carefully review our DX operating practice.
After all, it's only a hobby.

73
Bob K4TAX & K4TAX/C6