Topband: TEN-TEC IS LISTENING!

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk@arrl.net
8 Mar 2002 07:12:25 -0800

On Fri, 08 March 2002, "Gary J. Ferdinand" wrote:

> AND all the words about dual 32-bit procesors.
>
> SO WHAT?  There's nothing particularly substantial in claiming dual 32 bit
> processors. They've been around for a decade at least.  I think the 80486
> was one, for example.  Just saying "32 bit processor" is like marketing a
> boat with no leaks to a commercial fisherman.

32-bits of DSP is a very substantive technical claim IMHO

The implication we're supposed to draw is that those DSPs are accompanied by at least 16-bits of A/D & D/A  and therefore >90 dB of dynamic range. Limited DR has been the Achilles heel of doing effective DSP at IF. OTOH if they're still just feeding those DSPs with 8 or 12-bit flash A/Ds for the IF, then you're right, it's just hype.

73,
Mike K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu

Michael Keane K1MK