Topband: Chainlink fence

Hal Kennedy n4gg@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:29:32 -0500

For what its worth --
At my last QTH in Florida I lived in a neighborhood where most of the lots
were fenced from each other via chainlink.  The stuff extended in all
directions for thousands of feet.  I put up an inverted L, starting at the
top of the fence (5 feet above ground) and simply tied the shield of the
coax feed to the fence.  Best topband antenna I ever had.  Remember, there
is a pipe going one to two feet deep into the ground every 8 feet or so.
Chainlink makes a great radial sysem if you can tie into enough of it.  BTW,
the DC resistance from the fence to power ground was under an ohm -- an
indicator the RF resistance might also be low.  More telling, the inverted L
had an impedance of about 35 ohms.  I miss that old fence.....
Hal N4GG