Topband: Reactance problem

Bill Gerhold Billg@warwick.net
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:01:01 +0000

A few have suggested my MFJ-259b is off or inaccurate.  This does not seem
to be the
case.  In order to verify the MFJ is ok, I connected it to a dummy load and
was able to
measure zero reactance immediately with a 1:1 SRW.  So, it is not the MFJ
unit.

Others suggested, dry ground vs wet ground.  Interesting thought, but I
don't think
so.  Yes we are in a severe drought here but I don't see how that could
affect the reactance
of the antenna or the fact that resonance cannot be found anywhere.  I
always thought that any
antenna will have a resonance point (zero reactance) somewhere within it's
design range.

I checked the coax with a megger and it reads clear (suspecting water).
Any other ideas?  Could it be the sap in the trees is running?  Or the trees
are no
longer dormant?  I should note that I am connecting the MFJ at the end of
the coax about
40 feet.  But, all my measurements past and present were/are at the end of
the coax so
my comparisons of before and after are accurate.  My next measurement will
be right at
the base of the antenna to see if there are any changes there.  Keep the
ideas coming.
What about the single broken radial out of the 50.

K2WH