Topband: A wee bit more on power coupling

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 22:17:36 -0400

> For horizontal dipoles oriented E-W, power coupling in North
> America and Europe is still very unfavorable to the north, as
> shown below for central locations in those continents:
>
>                     W0        DL
>                    (dB)      (dB)
>
>             N     -24.0     -24.0
>            E-W     -6.6      -5.3
>             S      -4.7      -4.1
>
> So verticals would be the antenna of choice in NA and EU.

Horizontal dipoles (and Inverted Vee Dipoles also) only have a
perfectly horizontal polarization directly broadside to the antenna.
The polarization gradually tilts, and reaches vertical directly off
the ends with both horizontal dipoles and inverted Vee dipoles.

Are you saying the signal from a horizontal dipole at my location
oriented E-W (broadside N/S) would be 24 dB down due north of me into
Ohio or Ontario compared to a vertically polarized signal with the
same ERP?

That's certainly a substantial amount of attenuation.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com