Topband: The W8JI FT-1000D KeyClick Mod - Well Worthwhile!

Tom Cathey k1jj@snet.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:57:01 -0400

Just completed the W8JI Key Click Mod to my FT-1000D.

When looking at the before and after, man, what a difference!   The waveform
now has a softer look to it as it should - textbook look now. Edges are
rounded.

I used to view my stock FT-1000D CW waveform on the scope and thought it
looked fine, but an A/B comparison shows it was closer to a squarewave and
was probably generating SOME clicks. To see the difference, ground and
unground the 10ufd modification capacitor  while sending a series of dits.

I used a regular NPN 2N22222 transistor instead of the recommended 2N3904.
It appears any general purpose transistor will work fine.

When I first saw the mod posted I assumed it did not apply to my rig since I
had just had Yaesu do all the updates to bring it current. But, nay... they
didn't touch the CW waveform.

I highly recommend that anyone with an FT-1000D do it. Your CW neighbors
will appreciate it,  I'm sure!

Thanks for the posting Tom.

Check out March, 2001 of the archives, or click on:

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2001-March/000666.html

73,

Tom, K1JJ
CT