Topband: Power line noise on 160

k0rc k0rc@pclink.com
Sat, 18 May 2002 19:26:04 +0100

Ford,

Tell the clown that said "the faulty insulators are very expensive to
replace and it's a temporary fix at best" too quit whining.  It's part of
their cost of doing business.  Several other points are: the power company
is loosing power on those faulty insulators, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
[that's also very expensive].  But most important, if this power line noise
causes problems for nearby communications systems [i.e., police, fire,
hospital, aircraft, etc.] they might be hearing from the FCC instead of you.
That exchange could involve fines ['which are very expensive and only a
temporary fix' for repeat offenders].

There's no reason in the world that you should be financing the maintenance
of the power company distribution system [other than your montly power
bill].

I know you're a reasonable man, and you will take this information and
deliver it in a thoughtful, courteous, and respectful manner.  You know,
Minnesota Nice!  I would try moving it up the management ladder until you
find someone more responsible and sympathetic in that chain of command.

I'm in a different power grid so I don't have any names to give you.  Maybe
some of the fellows in the Minnesota Wireless Association have contacts that
they have had success with.  I've seen discussions on the MWA reflector a
while back regarding solving power line noise, but I can't remember the
participants calls.

73 de Bob - K0RC