Topband: Polarisation Coupling Loss - is it a problem?

RPARKES197@aol.com RPARKES197@aol.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 07:53:06 EDT

Hi All
well after some discussion "off the Reflector" I think it this subject has
come to a stalemate.  No doubt Polarisation Coupling Loss exists, it is a
matter of how it manifests itself with all the other variables in the
propagation equation.  Perhaps my statement of 20dB difference in signal was
an oversimplification when the other variables that impact the  propagation
path are taken into account.

However if measured statistically then the effect is there.  How the effect
is proved is another matter.  You may beat the other guys to the new one in
the pile up or you may not but on average you will if you have taken PCL into
account.

Derek G3JQQ tried some statistical measurement in an article "Comparing
simple vertical and horizontal antenna systems" in Radio Communication Dec
1987 where he tried to evaluate the same effect of vertical and horizontal
antennas on 14MHz. Reflectees may wish to read that article to find out how
Derek tried to carry out a statistical meaurement within the constraints that
amateurs have.

73s

Bob Parkes
G3REP