Topband: RF CHOKE at 160 meters

Dan dcbc@ipa.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:03:17 -0600

Hello All
Thanks for the replys on my questions about the Loop Antenna I put up.
I have a question about RF choke reactance value.
I use a 30 turn coil of 9913F coax wound on a 4.5 inch coil form to act as a
1 to 1 balun. (4 inch pvc pipe)
I got my calculator out tonight and figured the inductance at 32.6uh.
This figures to about 368.5 ohms of inductive reactance at 1.8 mc.
I am sure there is some effect of the wire size as the coax is 1/2 inch in
diameter so I am sure the inductance is more than the formula says. Since
there is no correction for the wire size in the formula I just took the
32.6uh at face value

Is 368.5 ohms of reactance enough to isolate the feed line at 1.8 mc ?
If not how much reactance should I have to isolate the feed line.

Just in case I did my math wrong here is the values I used. I took the
formula out of the ARRL Handbook.

L(uh) = aČnČ divided by 9a + 10b

a = coil radius in inches = 2.5     Diameter of coil center to center is 5
inches.
Diameter of 9913F .5 inches
b=coil length in inches = 15
 n= number of turns = 30
a coil radius squared is  = aČ 6.25  x   n number of turns squared = nČ 900
a coil radius 9 x a2.5 = 22.5    +    10 x b15 = 150

5625 divided by 172.5 = 32.6uh

32.6uh total inductance that equals 368.5 ohms inductave reactance at 1.8
mc.

Thanks for the help
Dan W0VD
w0vd@arrl.net