Topband: propagation

W0AH@aol.com W0AH@aol.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:32:07 EST

Hi Stan,
   Meteor scatter is mostly a function of geometry: the geometry of the wave
length and the size (length) of the ionized path caused by the meteor burning
up in the atmosphere.   Even more important, it's also the geometry of the
heigth of the ionization relative to the two stations.  Both stations need to
be line of sight (or nearly so) to the area of ionization.  Since the
ionization occurs in the E-layer (or lower), distances of over 1400 miles are
rare, and most enhancement (pings and bursts) occur in the 500-1200 mile
range.    Meteor scatter has never been observed at any frequency over the
distance from you to Australia.  And, I doubt, if meteor scatter has ever
been observed at 160M, though I suppose it's theorectically possible.
Perhaps a number of 160M stations should operate during the Leonids meteor
storm tomorrow night, and record their observations.  Since the normal
"skywave signal" over 500-1200 miles is so strong, I doubt that any pings or
bursts would be noted, but it may be worth a try.
Doug W0AH   2M WAS (and 41 states worked on 144 MHz meteor scatter)

<< Is it possible to have meteor trail  enhancement on 160m?  Last night
about 1120Z,  I heard Tom, W8JI, very loud, calling cq on 1824.5.  VK2WPM
came back to him, but, I didn't hear the VK at all.  I was hoping to hear
JT1CO,  but, everything was going over the top of me as usual.  Suddenly,
while VK2WPM Was transmitting I heard one distinct character and then
nothing.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

 73,  Stan  W7AWA >>