Topband: Feeding multiple beverages

Ulrich Weiss dj2ya@t-online.de
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:22:07 +0100

W8JI wrote:

> Better to be safe in a case like this, because the cost and time
> difference and inconvenience between low Z switching and high Z
> switching is minimal, plus it helps make sure common grounds are
> avoided. Too many who work in RF daily do not understand RF layouts,
> let alone casual builders.

Hi Tom,

this is one of the few of your contributions that do not help to enlighten
me... from your previous mails I know that you prefer low-Z switching... the
problem with my own low-Z switching is that (in the way I do it now) it
causes a common ground problem... by switching the ("hot" end of the)
primaries I leave the other Beverages connected to the common ground
allowing them to cause cross talk on the (imperfect) ground path...
wouldn't using just ONE transformer and switching the ends of the different
Beverages to (the hot end of) its secondary (leaving the other Bevs
floating) avoid any common ground problem???
as I understand it,  to avoid common ground cross talk when switching the
coax line to the primaries you must use separate grounds for each
Beverage... if so, how far should they be from each other to safeguard
sufficient decoupling???
or do I misunderstand the passage above altogether???
greetings from germany

Uli, DJ2YA