Topband: Electric Fence QRM

B. Clark k1fz@prexar.com
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:21:17 -0500

Hi Pete,

I ran into about the same thing a year ago. Never did find the problem fence It quit before I could locate it.
I drove  to all the farms around the QTH and they were not the problem.  It had all the indications of near vertical propagation.(straight up and reflected down)  It was stronger at noon
time, and had slow QSB. I mean real slow---not cows rubbing along the fence. (The noise  peaks and valleys were very linear with time) The best part- it almost disappeared at nighttime.
One of the problems was my mobile receiving set up was not  sensitive enough to get strong S meter readings. Was starting to correct that problem when the noise disappeared-Never came
back..
One strange thing was- It was strongest on the North-East Beverage but when I went up around to the road that was only 1/8 mile away from the end of that Beverage, I could no longer hear
it.
Having been in Broadcast Engineering most of my life, I should have been able to locate this noise, having  dealt with many noise problems over the years..

A sensitive loop at the mobile may help a lot.

73
Bruce