Topband: Moon Effect

w7dd w7dd@msn.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:33:31 -0700

Hello All,

I seem to remember experiments involving warming the ionosphere to increase
short wave radio propagation.  As I remember, it was called "Strat Warm".
The experiment was performed by the U.S. Government I think.  It involved
VERY HIGH POWER transmitters operating around the 20 meter and 40 meter
band.  The antennas aimed straight up.  The transmitters were located in
Alaska.  I think QST asked us hams to listen for a propagation change at the
time of the transmission.  I did listen to the carrier from here in Tucson.
The carrier frequency was published.  The test was performed at night.  Does
anyone have any more information on "Strat Warm"?

Best Regards,
Don