Topband: 160 Propagation & Weather

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:00:17 -0500

>    Joe Dube KK4TR of Brooksville, FL and I have conducted subjective
> observations of this effect via 160 and 120 meters and the MF
> broadcast band for the past 4 winters. Subjective observations of this
> effect have also been made for decades within the MF broadcast band
> DX'ers community, namely the NRC and IRCA.

I can't imagine anyone trying to measure such tiny changes without
extensive ground systems and very accurate and stable FS meters on a
ground wave path. Sky wave would be worse yet, especially with all
the multipathing at modest distances.

Exactly how do people make such tests, and isolate the causes and
effects??

> Russia http://iszf.irk.ru/ Their extensive research on the subject is
> touched upon in a published paper in the English version of  science
> magazine Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, Vol 35, No 3, December 1995.

I've sent an e-mail trying to obtain a copy of that. It might make it
easier if someone who has one can copy it and I'll pay for it.73, Tom
W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com