Topband: 160 Propagation & Weather

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:08:49 -0500

At 01:24 PM 10/29/02 -0500, Thomas Giella, KN4LF wrote:
>Professional scientific study of this effect has been conducted by E.S.
>Kazimirovsky and
>V.D. Kokourov of the Solar Terrestrial Physics Institute at Irkutsk, Russia
>http://iszf.irk.ru/
>Their extensive research on the subject is touched upon in a published paper
>in the English
>version of  science magazine Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, Vol 35, No 3,
>December 1995.

Kazimrovsky et al seems to be mainly a catalogue of questions that still
need to be answered.  The paper is available at
http://eos.wdcb.ru/transl/gma/9503/pap01.htm

There are a few additional resources available on the web.  See, for example:

Direct Coupling Between Lightning and the Mesosphere/Lower Ionosphere
http://nova.stanford.edu/~vlf/publications/theses/cpblThesis/node11.html
http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/russell/Campaign/itm.html
http://nova.stanford.edu/~vlf/palmer/palmer.htm

Also ...

Coupling and Energetics in the
Stratosphere-Mesosphere-Thermosphere-Ionosphere System by D. Rees, J.
Lastovicka, W. E. Ward (expensive from Amazon.com)

At a quick glance these seem to focus on VLF, and I saw no reference to
effects at higher frequency, but I'm no physicist.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower