Topband: Source for radial wire?

Tom Cathey k1jj@snet.net
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:08:10 -0400

> Hi-
> I have tried looking through archives for the answer, and got frustrated.
> Can anyone recommend a source for radial wire for vertical antennas. I
have
> seen prices ranging from $21.00 to over $40.00 for 1000 feet.
> Scott C.
-----------

Hi Scott,

I've found that #14 PVC insulated copper wire from Home Depot in 500' rolls
is about the best value out there. It's $12.77/ 500' =  about 2.5 cents/ft.

I like the black SOLID #14 wire best, as it's easier to strip and solder
interconnections to.  The heavy stuff will not break easily after frost
heaves, animal digging, lawn mower snags, etc.

As for the woods problem, just get a 10' aluminum pole and drill a hole in
one end. Tie one radial wire to it with the main spool freely positioned at
the tower on a holding rod of some kind.  Push the pole thru the brush and
leaves with your foot. Easy.... and it gets under the leaves, with radial
wire out of sight.  Use short heavy  wire staples bent into a "U" to hold
the radials down until the grass, etc grows over them and pushes them into
the dirt.

I put down 15 miles of radials last Spring on my lawn and at this time they
are all invisible....now down into the dirt -  just by stapling them down
after a close mowing job..  Since the wire is sealed, should last a long
long time, even in nasty soil conditions.

73,

Tom, K1JJ
CT