Topband: Re: MIG wire: Source for radial wire?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:35:56 -0400

> In regards to the post mentioning mig welding wire. Many years ago I
> put a solid wire (as per Misek) under my Beverage antenna using mig
> wire... It sure looks pretty all copper coated and all but the Oregon
> rain removed all of the copper coating

The very thin porous overlay on standard MIG wire will disappear in
any condition when exposed to moisture, even if the wire is suspended
in air. I have to watch how extra wire reels for my MIG welders is
stored, because if the wire gets damp it rusts almost immediately.73,
Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com