Topband: Radial wire selection and installation

Doug Waller NX4D@comcast.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:26:10 -0400

> It is a matter of using the correct solder.  Lead/tin in contact with the
> soil will quickly disintegrate into a white powder.  I once tried it, and
> had to resolder all the connections every couple of weeks.
>
> I now use a silver alloy that is used by plumbers to solder copper water
> pipes.  It comes in flat sticks about 1/8" wide and 18" long.  You need a
> brazing torch because an ordinary propane torch doesn't get hot enough.  I
> use a "MAPP GAS" torch, which looks and works exactly like a propane
torch.
> Don K4KYV

I think you have found the problem Don.  It's the LEAD!

I just went out to shop & am looking at a roll of copper pipe solder from
Lowes.  It is Oatey brand solder & says 95/tin, 5/ant.  I assume that ant.
is antimony.  This stuff takes more heating with a propane torch for flow
than regular solder.  It also needs flux.  So I think it would work fine for
radial joints, since the lead is missing.

I have not tried this since I made sure all my 14 short radials are
continuous copper wire, but it should be a solution.

DF2PY was pumping into central Fla last night, so we gotta get these
projects wrapped up soon & be ready for Top Band action !

73, Doug / Nx4d