Topband: What's the minimum distance one shud have between vertical and beverage?

Donald Chester k4kyv@hotmail.com
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:07:55 +0000

>From: "Fritz Reuning, K4OAQ" <Fritz@k4oaq.com>

>I'm wanting to move my 160 inverted L a little bit closer to where my
>beverages are located.  I have first hand experience that 30 ft is too
>close. Currently I have a quarter wavelength plus abt 30 additional feet
>between them.  Do the radials enter into the equation.  I.e., should you
>maintain a certain distance between the radials and the beverages.

My Beverage runs almost tangent to the circle formed by the ends of the
radials (120 quarter wave #12 bare soft-drawn copper wires buried 1-2 inches
in the soil).  Thus the Beverage wire is a little over 1/4 wavelength from
the vertical tower itself.  I wouldn't consider running a Beverage directly
over the radial system  (and I recall someone on this list saying they had
tried it and the Beverage didn't work properly), but mine is just a few feet
awey from the ends of the radials.  The Bewerage seems to work ok, but I
don't have another one farther away from the radial field to compare it to.

I'd be curious if someone can speak with experience on this problem.

Don K4KYV