Topband: Re: [Topband] Coupling between bev and other antennas

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:05:30 +0000

K9UWA added:

>I didn't notice it at first on my IC-765 ...but then I was always using
>the radio
>on 160 meters....as soon as it was put up on 10 meters....the noticably
>reduced gain of the radio was apparent......

Although it does not happen on 1.8 Mc (no antenna available at present), I do
find I blow a number of the front end BPF filter switching diodes on my 765
during the course of a two-radio contest weekend.

26 dBW into one band of a multiband quad whilst listening through an external
BPF filter on another band of the same quad with the 765 is probably not
too far
off from what may be induced into a receive-only antenna from 1.5 kW into a
transmit antenna with the spacing a typical Topband list subscriber may have to
play with...

Previously I had thought my 765 had a fault (like a blown front-end saving
supressor, light bulb or whatever), but maybe it's just the way they all are.

Thanks for sharing that with us, John!

73, BW2/VR2BrettGraham