Topband: Flag Xfmr Measurements

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:38:38 -0400

> I also used my LCIIB capacity meter to measure the interwinding
> capacity. It averaged 3.75pf between the two transformers.  There is

> For my record, I measured the inductance of the transformer windings.
> Transformer A had 69.2uH and 1308uH, and transformer B had 75.6uH and
> 1440uH, again using the LCIIB meter.

Bob,

What measurement frequency does the LCIIB meter use in operation?

It is an absolute requirement when making measurements of RF
components such as transformers, inductors, and small value
capacitors that all parameters are measured in the frequency range
where the component is operated.

You may find you have 3.75pF at very low frequencies, and it can be
the equivalent of 15pF at higher frequencies. Inductance slopes a
great deal with iron cores, as does loss resistance.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com