Topband: Quarter wave Vs Eigth Wave

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wes at attawayinterests.com
Sun Apr 20 18:52:16 EDT 2003

It is pretty obvious that the models predict some things a lot
more accurately than other things.  Tom's "warnings" attempt to
address the issues associated with the particular situation of
trying to model performances of vertical antennas (particularly
TOA) over real ground, given that ground conductivity is neither
known nor a constant in most locations.  A model might give
fairly accurate results if the ground conductivity is known with
certainty, and if the conductivity is the same for many
wavelengths in all directions.  Apparently, these conditions are
rarely met in real life.

Modeling a yagi 2 or 3 wavelengths above ground is a different
situation.

Modeling is certainly a worthwhile exercise, but in the case of
verticals trying to pick one antenna over another based on
something as slim as 1 or 2 Db of predicted difference at a
certain TOA may be a big mistake.  I think this is all Tom was
trying to point out.