Topband: preamps homemade ...

ROBERT EVANS revans at sarnoff.com
Wed Apr 30 11:09:47 EDT 2003

I and WW2Y built a couple pre-amps for topband a couple of years ago.
He and K2WI used them with considerable success in topband contesting,
( not due to the pre-amp ) but at least the pre-amp didn't hurt.

The design was based on a medium power bipolar NPN in order to achieve
a very high dynamic range for a pre-amp.  One of the complaints that
we were aware of was that some commercial pre-amps suffered from
being driven into distortion from broadcast and other sources nearby
in frequency.

BCNU DE N2LO