Topband: NTIA Letter to FCC re: BPL

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 00:29:00 EDT 2003

Just as NTIA threw a spoke in the wheel with the amateur 60m. band, they
apparently have serious misgivings regarding BPL, although their concern
seems to be focused primarily on the 30-50 mHz range. The following  letter
appears on the FCC's website  displaying filed comments.

Mr. Edmond J. Thomas Ju 12003
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Telecommunications and
Information Administration
Washington 0 C. 20230

Chief, Office of Engineering and Technology
Federal Communications Commission RECEIVED
445 1 2 ‘ ~ Street. sw
Washington, D.C. 20554

Subject:
JuL 1 7 2003
Fede~l Cornmurnms hmw
Request for Waiver filed by Current Tec~o?8&?%?@for IC f Broadband
over Power Line (BPL), February 6,2003

“Inquiry Regarding Carrier Current Systems, including Broadband over
Power Line Systems,” Federal Communications Commission, ET Docket
No. 03-104, released April 28,2003

Refeience:

Dear Mr. Thomas:
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA),
Oflice of Spectrum Management reviewed the subject request for a permanent
waiver of the field strength limit specified for Class B emissions in Part
15 of the Commission’s Rules. While noting that a number of limiting
conditions are proposed, NTIA believes that a permanent waiver should not be
granted at this time because of the present lack of measurements and
analyses showing that any resulting interference to allocated services would
be at acceptable levels. One concern is that the proposed pole-mounted
interface devices and outdoor power lines used for BPL could be located
close to public safety mobile and base station receivers operating in the
30-50 MHz fiequencyrange and consequently many of the intervening signal
paths would be unobstructed. The unobstnicted and ubiquitous nature of this
BPL application, and perhaps other aspects of
BPL, differs considerably from the situations presently found in typical
unintentional radiators authorized under the Commission’s Part 15 Rules. We
also have concerns regarding compliance measurement techniques for BPL
systems and the characterization of emissions from a BPL system for use in
compatibility studies. We believe the continued operation of BPL systems on
an experimental basis will provide an excellent oppommity to examine many of
the issues raised by the Commission in the above-referenced Notice of
Inquiry (NOI). NTLA has begun technical studies to address some of the
interference-related issues raised in the NOI, including measurements and
analyses, which will help deteimine the least constraining BPL emission
Iimits that would preclude unacceptable interference. Our Spectrum
Engineering and Analysis Division is conducting these studies and developing
a measurement plan with the Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (ITS).
Measurements at two BPL demonstration sites are tentatively scheduled to
start late in July 2003.

We understand that the Commission also may be conducting BPL measurements.
In order to establish the best possible common technical basis for our
respective analyses, I siiggest that our BPL measurement efforts be
coordinated at a11 appropriate technical working level. We look forward to
working with the Commission's staff in developing the appropriate regulatory
franiework to permit BPL to evolve while protecting Federal and public
safety systems.

Sincerely,
Fredrick MQ- R. Wentland
Associate Administrator