Topband: How to File BPL Comments with the FCC

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Aug 9 15:40:54 EDT 2003

Since I work with GEMA (Georgia Emergency Management Agency) and the local
Sherriff's department in emergency communications, I'd like to point out
another perspective that will help.

Red Cross, GEMA, and other agencies use low-band VHF (below 50MHz) for
communication. I'm already in the process of communicating with these and
other agencies about the BPL problem, and supplying them with information
related to how it *will* (not may) deteriorate communications.

Support against BPL from such agencies will mean a great deal.

Another good argument can come from people on 160 meters who have had POOR
response to noise problems. If you read some of the utility letters, they
imply or state they are responsible and have a good history of not causing
problems. At this stage, the responses could be speciafically targeted at
those claims. It would be most effective if you replied directly to a claim
that utilities resolve interference in a responsible manner, and cite
specific examples showing they have a poor track record. If they don't
handle line noise, they won't handle BPL.

73 Tom